The Great Outdoors
The Benefits of Outdoor Play
Playing outdoors is a form of exercise for children that promotes well-being and well-rounded physical development. It gives them the opportunity to explore their environment, develop muscle strength and coordination, and gain self-confidence. Outdoor play also increases flexibility, as well as fine and gross motor skills.
There has been a recent study showing that children who play outside tend to be smarter, happier and less anxious. During the first two years of life, a child’s brain and body experiences important growth and development. Exposure to screen time detracts from important social interactions. While screen time is the easier, more popular choice in today’s world, it’s important to set aside time for outdoor play. Young children naturally want to do what a parent does, so help your children by being a good role model.
Here are a few other reasons why you should make the effort to spend time outdoors with your children.
- They gain the power to control their own actions due to less structure, which builds confidence.
- Outdoor activities promote creativity and imagination, allowing children to think more freely. They will design their own activities with their outdoor surroundings.
- It teaches responsibility. For example, entrusting a child to take care of living plants, or flower beds and gardens. It will also show what happens when they forget to water a plant and how important it is to nurture living things.
- Different types of stimulation are obtained as children see, hear, smell and touch their surroundings in new ways every day.
- It gets children moving. A healthy child is an active child and there is no better way for a child to remain active than some quality outdoors time.
- Outdoor play teach children about the Earth. It helps children ask questions about the Earth and the life it supports.
The American Academy of Pediatrics states that unstructured outdoor play is critical to the health of children. Children’s Factory offers a superior line of original products that can be used to enhance outdoor play. With safety being a top priority, rest assured that we provide the safest products while doing our part to preserve the environment for the future.